Top Navigation

Two Things That Cannot Wait Until 5pm

This is not my Saturday night blog, but I am nearly tingling with excitement about two things:

First, this:

Yes, for breakfast I ate my own homemade creamy non-fat Greek yogurt that is just like my sister said it should be, which I made yesterday in my crockpot as many of you recommended, and I am elated! Those of you who read my “What-Not-To-Do Wednesday” column will know why this is so refreshing. Thank you all for your tips and advice!

Second, last weekend I reached a Facebook Page milestone of 1000 likes. Normally, I try not to obsess about numbers, but this feels like a birthday requiring a celebration. I decided to celebrate with a special blog post tonight, which I have been preparing all week. It features interviews with the 996th, 997th, 999th, and 1000th people who liked my page, 500 Words by Katrina. I had so much fun asking them questions and hearing their answers. I think you will enjoy it as well, so don’t miss my 5 pm post!

Happy Saturday!

And another yogurt picture just because I’m so excited it worked…

6 Responses to Two Things That Cannot Wait Until 5pm

1. Anna January 26, 2019 at 11:40 am #

Yah!!!!!!!

• Katrina January 26, 2019 at 12:06 pm #

That’s what I thought!

2. Barbara January 26, 2019 at 1:16 pm #

Could you give me your recipe now?

• Katrina January 26, 2019 at 3:14 pm #

Well, it’s hardly a recipe yet! I heated about two quarts of milk to 180 degrees I the crockpot. I think I had it on warm. Then I let it cool to 110-ish and dipped out a cup of the hot milk to mix with the 1/2 cup of starter (yogurt from Aldi). I whisked this mixture into the crock and set the crock in a hot water bath in my sink. I had to keep adding hot water to keep it around 110, so I’m hoping to try an easier method next time. Anyway, after six hours it was done! I let it strain over night so it got quite thick. In the morning, I added vanilla and stevia. I added frozen blueberries to some of it.

Hope this helps! I was so excited to see that it actually set up.

3. Bonny January 27, 2019 at 5:50 pm #

*Congratulations on making good yogurt! * I made a lot of bad yogurt before I made good yogurt. Even now, I sometimes have troubles. In one case, I abandoned efforts and just stored the sour milk (that’s how badly things went) to use when baking or in pancakes. The next time, all went very well until I spilled some everywhere – – my feet, the counter, the floor, the rug. The only one who was pleased was the dog, who thought I made the mess just for her. On the bright side, she helped me clean the floor. After cleaning up my mess, I proceeded from the point where I stopped, and had good yogurt.
    You and I make yogurt in similar ways. I use a Crockpot, too, but I whisk in dry milk powder to the cold milk. Then I warm the milk in the Crockpot, and proceed much as you do. I cool it in the now-unplugged Crockpot to about 110`. I dip out a cup or two of milk and whisk yogurt into it. Then I add the mixture to the milk in the Crockpot without whisking. I think that part may be personal preference because I’ve done it your way, too, whisking it all together. After that, I replace the lid on the Crockpot and cover it with old towels and/or small blankets. Because I like a more pronounced flavor, I let mine sit eight-twelve hours.
    It sounds time consuming, but it isn’t, really. The longest parts are waiting for the milk to reach 180`, and
    letting it sit the eight-twelve hours. The addition of the dry milk results in Greek-style yogurt without straining it.
    I wish I’d known this method back when I had a (Freecycle) yogurt maker, but I can make larger batches this way.
    Happy yogurt-making!

• Katrina January 27, 2019 at 6:00 pm #

Thanks for the description! I should try the towel thing. That sounds a lot easier than keeping the water warm!